Helping Australia Move Since 1948
Neville Dawson left school in 1948 and commenced an apprenticeship as a motor mechanic. At successful completion of this apprenticeship, he decided to venture into the transport industry, his first experience was in a taxi truck which combined passengers and parcel deliveries.
In 1960 Mr Dawson expanded into mail and grocery deliveries with the purchase of a utility and panel van. This expansion needed the assistance of his wife, Johanna who also became actively involved.
In 1962 an office was opened at 89 George Street Bathurst and a 7 day operation commenced with a milk run to Oberon and daily runs to Orange via Blayney.
In 1964 the business won a contract to deliver the "Walton's Stores" Furniture.
Household furniture removals quickly followed and in 1967 an 8000 Sq Ft warehouse was built at 90 Durham Street Bathurst for furniture storage.
In 1972 Walton's awarded Dawson's a contract to transport all their new furniture from Sydney to Bathurst and further west. To accommodate this contract, premises were rented at Chipping Norton to receive other goods coming to this area.
In 1974 other stores such as Norman Ross and Myers-Grace Bros started using Dawson's for furniture freight from Sydney and a new warehouse was opened at Wetherill Park with a storage area of 10,000 sq ft.
By 1977 the company was employing 20 people and using a fleet of 10 vehicles, and it was during this year that a contract was won to supply storage and handling facilities for a multinational pet food manufacturer. With this contract came the need for further expansion so the Durham Street warehouse was sold, and the company was relocated to the current site at Littlebourne Kelso.
In 1993 Dawson's decided to expand its operations to have depots in both Dubbo and Tamworth by purchasing the operations of Amos Removals in those areas.
In 1995 Dawson's became a member of "Australian Furniture Removals Association" (AFRA) of which they are still a member today.
1997, Neville Dawson was still at the helm and controlled a staff of 96, and a vehicle fleet of 25 trucks and 8 company service vehicles. The total storage capacity had increased to 460,000 sq ft.
1998 the Tamworth depot was closed in December.
1999 saw the purchase of 5 x 20' removal containers, a container forklift and the reconfiguration of a prime mover into a container truck. The "Container Era" had arrived.
2001 Neville and Johanna decided to retire from the furniture removal industry.
The company was purchased by their son Peter and his wife Bernadette. Peter started with the company in November 1982 as a mechanic after finishing his Diesel apprenticeship with a local truck dealership. Peter had worked in all aspects of the company including Maintenance, Removals, Line haul driving and moved into the office in 1989 as Operations Manager.
Dawson's have continued to expand, with the purchase of a B-Double in 2007 and the recruitment of their first subcontractor.
2009 Dawson's have 40 pieces of equipment including Prime Movers, Trucks, Trailers, Vans, and Utes, and employ 40 people from Bathurst, Sydney and Dubbo Areas.
Dawson's now have 100 x 20' containers for storage and rail transport. They also have 4 container trucks, three container forklifts (One in each depot) a truck and dog trailer and a 45' drop deck trailer, which enabled Dawson's to compete with other national companies.
Dawson's carry out deliveries of new furniture and fragile items for major department stores west of the Blue Mountains, and Household Furniture Removals, Local, Australia Wide, and International.